Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis in the UK and is a condition in which the joints of the body become damaged, stop moving freely and become painful. – Arthritis Research UK
The risk of developing osteoarthritis increases from the late 40s.
Also according to arthritis research UK, 8.75 million people in the UK have sought treatment for osteoarthritis.This is how the figures stack-up:
- 33% of people aged 45 years and over
- 49% of women and 42% of men of those aged 75 years and over.
In the US the figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention look even more alarming.
- Osteoarthritis is a long-term disease affecting more than 27 million in the US
- OA accounts for 47.4% of all arthritis-related hospitalizations
- 350 million people in the world have some form of arthritis.
Although there is no cure for OA, positive steps can be taken by individuals affected by it.
23 Self -care tips to reduce your osteoarthritis pain
- See a massage therapist
- Practice yoga
- Use cold therapy,applying an ice pack or a bag of vegetables
- Use heat therapy,such as a hot water bottle or heating pad
- Apply hydrotherapy,exercising in a pool or soaking in a warm bath
- Strength train.The more muscles you have, the less osteoarthritis pain you will have
- Get plenty of sleep
- Stretch before exercising. Gentle stretching can help: It will improve your flexibility and increase your range of motion. And better flexibility and range of motion mean you can perform a variety of everyday tasks that many people take for granted
- Cool down after exercise
- Drink lots of water
- Sleep in a firm bed
- Use good posture
- See a physical therapist
- Sit in a supportive chair
- Meditate for stress and pain relief
- Purchase a knee brace
- Stretch in the morning
- Stay active
- Enjoy a balanced diet.
- Treat with herbal therapy and aroma therapy
- Don’t sit for long periods of time
- Add omega-3 fatty acids to your diet, such as fish like salmon
- Acupuncture releases natural pain-relieving neurotransmitters like enkephalins and endorphins
Weight loss can help if you already suffer from OA, and you don’t have to shed a lot of pounds to make a difference. Losing just 10 lb actually relieves each knee of about a 30-lb load (or 3 times the weight lost) with every stride you take.via www.prevention.com/health-concerns.
“We tend to think of heart health as the main reason to keep physically fit and keep our weight down. But we need to consider another good reason—preventing OA,” says Dr. John Klippel Medical Director of the the Arthritis Foundation, the leading non-profit organisation dedicated to the prevention, control and cure of arthritis in the United States.
The main takeaway seems to be stay active to reduce OA pain.
Please note: The information provided on this site should not be construed as personal medical advice or instruction. No action should be taken based solely on the contents of this site. You should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to your health and well-being.